Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Week 2 - The age of Russel Hickman!!

So after a good first week, I was excited and a little anxious to see what Russ had in store for me. He called me on Sunday to chat a little about the week ahead. We agreed to keep going as I had been on the nutrition, and to sit down together to discuss some more detail and to offer me some more advice on Monday. Then came those dreaded words “so meet me at the gym at 5:30 am and we will get going”; gulp.

I decide to get to bed early but I was wide-awake! I have too much energy it seems. So finally by 11:something I nod off and at 1230 pm my 3-year-old son decided its time to get up. I don’t manage to get him to stay in his bed until 2:30am!! I think about texting Russ to ask for leniency, but I refrain. Then at 5:20am I am awoken by a text from Russ, saying he is on his way. My alarm had not gone off! But I will not be deterred, or rather the inspiration of meeting a trainer is enough to make me jump out of bed and get my ass to the gym. Lets face it, if I had not been working in this program; there is no way I would have been there.

So I arrive, just a few minutes after and am surprisingly energetic. Russ takes us through a warm up then to begin our workout. Russ encourages me through a good system of circuit training type moves. Russ is keen on using body weight as the resistance, and it works! I am thoroughly surprised at how effective I am finding these circuit style workouts that hit the full body throughout the whole time! As we hit the second set of moves my strength is noticeably fading and Russ helps guide me into modified versions of some of the moves to help me get to the end. Sometimes I feel like I need to be yelled at by a drill sergeant, but I will take the constant encouragement and motivation as I come to the end of my sets.

By the end I had jelly legs and sweat pouring. Russ likes to end these sessions with some time in the pool. So we do a stretch and then head to swim. We do a few laps which really helps stretch out the whole body and then tred water for about 5 mins and chat. As I got out the water I felt great! We are on a Mon, Wed, Fri & Sat schedule and days off doing some good walks. I did a 2 hr hike at Radnor Lake this morning and it felt great to stretch out, sweat and burn some calories surrounded be beauty! I’m feeling so much better already in just eight days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment